Hard water is damaging your hair - the quality of the water we use on a daily basis is gradually deteriorating, and it’s all because water is going from soft to hard! And while this issue has been there for a while, most of us aren’t aware of the intensity of the issue, the difference between hard water and soft water and how it can affect various aspects of our daily lives, including the hair and scalp. There are home remedies and water softening systems that one could opt for, but they require time, and some may not be very cost-effective. The good news? The right products incorporated into your daily routine can help reverse hard water damage on your hair and scalp.
The problem of hard water has prevailed for a long time, but it is only now that it has come to everyone’s attention. Questions are many: What exactly is hard water? Why is it bad for the hair and scalp? How can the damage be reversed? Read on to know more and for the solution.
WHAT IS HARD WATER?
When groundwater percolates through several layers of limestone, it picks up mineral deposits like Calcium and Magnesium, among others. That is when it transforms into hard water. As a result, over 70% of India receives water that is classified as mild to very hard, and this percentage is only going to get bigger with increasing urbanization and pressure on the groundwater table.
The water hardness scale is used to determine the level of mineral and salt deposits in the water and distinguishes between hard water and soft water. Depending on where the water quality falls within this scale, it would determine the damaging effects on your scalp, including itching and flaking, among other issues. The metal ion deposits present in hard water have a negative effect on your hair and scalp, and this is because these deposits block the pores and cause hair to grow thinner. Adding on, the salt and metal ion deposits also aggravate scalp conditions like dryness, dandruff, eczema, and flaking over time and it also reduces the efficacy of keratin, smoothening, and hair treatments as well, resulting in dull and limp hair.
EFFECTS OF HARD WATER ON HAIR & SCALP
As mentioned above, an alarming 70% of Indians use mild to very hard water and the water quality is only going to get worse in the future with surface water sources depleting rapidly. As a result, most people in hard water areas may suffer from a dry, brittle, sticky and weakened scalp and several other hair problems. Imagine spending thousands of rupees on hair treatments only to have it ruined by the water you use daily. What’s more, short-term hair damage problems, hairfall and flaking can adversely affect your scalp and lead to reduced hair growth.
HOW WOULD YOU KNOW YOU ARE GETTING HARD WATER?
Here are the warning signs that the water you may be using is hard water. Remember, even one sign is enough to necessitate action.
- This is one of the most tell-tale signs. If you've noticed your taps, faucets and/or showerheads having white, scaly deposits, you are most likely part of that 70% using hard water.
- Your showerheads get clogged more frequently. This is because of all the metal ions and salt deposits present in hard water.
- You notice that it takes you longer to clean your hair and scalp while showering/bathing - it might be due to hard water.
- Your skin and scalp feel unclean even after spending considerable time in the shower.
- Your water tastes and/or smells funny. This may not be very apparent, but you can try and taste it. Hard water leaves an unpleasant metallic taste in your mouth because of the metal ion deposits in it.
HOW TO DEAL WITH HARD WATER ISSUES?
When it comes to haircare, the iluvia Hard Water Shampoo is built to reverse the damage done by hard water. It is India’s first hard water shampoo formulated to negate the effects of hard water on the scalp and hair. Traditionally, shampoos designed to combat hard water are very harsh on your hair and not easily accessible. iluvia’s Hard Water Shampoo is one of a kind as it’s designed from the ground up to gently but effectively remove all metal ion deposits.
The Hard Water Shampoo uses naturally sourced chelating agents that bind with metal ion deposits, removing them from your scalp and hair. It also neutralizes the charge in your hair by using advanced water-soluble silicones, which prevent metal ions from accumulating on the scalp and hair. This unique hard water shampoo also ticks ‘green’ boxes: it is cruelty-free, with no parabens or phthalates and sulfate-free. It is also 100% vegan, with no artificial dyes, hypoallergenic and pH balanced, making it the go-to shampoo for all.
BENEFITS OF USING ILUVIA’S HARD WATER SHAMPOO
- Reverses the scalp and hair damage due to the metal ions and salt in hard water.
- Reduces hair fall and breakage to give you hair volume and bounce.
- Gently but effectively removes metal ion deposits from hair and scalp.
- Helps thicken, soften and strengthen hair.
- Deep cleanses the scalp and combats hair fall. The advanced chelation removal will get rid of harsh metals that damage the overall look of your hair.
ILUVIA HARD WATER SHAMPOO – HAIR TYPES
Experts would recommend the iluvia Hard Water Shampoo to people with the following hair types:
- Oily to normal hair.
- Hair with low to moderate density.
- Scalp that is more prone to flaking and itching.
- Straight and wavy hair, which is 1 to 3a type hair but not exclusive to those.
THE EASY METHOD
The best part of the Hard Water Shampoo is that it is easy to use and gentle enough to use everyday as well, should you require it. All one needs to do is follow the steps:
- Wet your hair and apply the iluvia Hard Water Shampoo.
- Massage the shampoo into your scalp and damp hair.
- Rinse it off thoroughly with water.
Bonus Tip: The Hard Water Shampoo is best paired with the iluvia Squalene Restorative Conditioner. The 100% plant-based formula in the conditioner uses Olive Squalene to naturally improve the quality of your hair and make it shiny, supple, lustrous and smooth. This will also prevent breakage and improve the elasticity of your hair.
OTHER WAYS TO REDUCE THE EFFECTS OF HARD WATER
- Water softener: This solution is a bit pricey, but since you already know the difference between hard water and soft water, investing in a water softener seems like a great decision. Installing a water softener not just for one bathroom but for the entire house is good for you in the long run as you will never come in contact with the metal ion deposits and their harsh side effects.
- Showerhead filter: Using a showerhead filter instead of a water softening system is cost-effective and convenient. You only need to attach a filter to your shower and use it as you usually do. However, you will have to change the filter regularly to avoid clogging. This simple solution gets the job done by filtering out the metal ions from your bathing water, great for your hair and skin. In addition to that, you get to have a clean bathroom as there will be no scale build-up in your shower area.
- Vinegar rinse: Who knew that our essential cooking ingredient could help reduce hair damage? Simply mix one part of vinegar with two parts of water. Apply the mix to your hair and scalp after shampooing and let it rest for five minutes. Rinse off.
Vinegar is acidic in nature, so the calcium build-up on your hair follicles gets neutralized when it comes in contact with vinegar. However, don’t do this in every hair wash, or your hair will become too dry.
- Citrus rinse: As a substitute for the vinegar rinse, you can use the citric acid rinse with lime or lemon. Their neutralizing properties are similar to vinegar and reduce the effects of hard water on hair and scalp. Start by adding ¼ cup of fresh lemon or lime juice to ¾ cup of water. Massage this mixture thoroughly on your hair and scalp after shampooing, and rinse it off completely after 5-15 minutes. Once you are done with this remedy, you can move on to using your conditioner.
- Filter water: If you are too skeptical about using vinegar or citrus on your hair, try a filter water rinse. All you need to do is rinse your hair with filtered water after you are done showering. This easy and convenient remedy can reduce the damaging effect of hard water on your hair and scalp.
Hard water has been a persistent yet unnoticed problem for a while now, and it is responsible for damaging the hair of a lot of people. An effective way to reverse this damage and improve your hair quality is by using the iluvia Hard Water Shampoo, among other viable solutions. Try it and see the results for yourself!